1843-1845; 1878; 1898-1899; 1954 Classical Revival Style Ammi B Young (1843-1845); Andrews, Young & Rantoul (1898-1899) Stuart W. Brigg & Cornelius W. Buckley (1954)
This building occupies the site which has served as the seat of Worcester County government since the county’s formation in 1731-1733. The original courthouse on this site had grown too small and was replaced by the Ammi B Young portion of the courthouse. The original courthouse was moved and still exists today as a private residence. The Worcester County Courthouse occupies a prominent, elevated site in Lincoln Square. Its imposing classical façade (columns and pediments), well-maintained granite site fittings (stairs and retaining wall) and visibility make it an important landmark.
Soon, the former Worcester District Courthouse will be converted to 117 residential units, some of which will be in converted courtrooms. Both the 1840s wing and the 1950s addition will be retained as they are.