Ghost Signs: Faded ads are the disappearing painted letters and illustrations on the sides of old buildings. They would have been hand-painted with oil-based house paints. Such signs were most commonly used in the decades before the Great Depression. When ownership changed, a new sign would be painted over the old one. This building was built in the 1870’s and was originally the Merchants’ & Farmers’ Ins. Co Building, it was rebuilt in 1901. In 1945 Coughlin Furniture Company moved into the location. Part of Coghlin’s Inc. which included Coghlin Electric. The company was founded by John P. Coghlin who was an 1893 graduate of WPI. The Coughlin Furniture Company sold furniture, but also appliances and other electrics.