Hadley Furniture Co./David Burwick Company 653 Main Street, Worcester
Ghost Signs: Faded ads, are the disappearing painted letters and illustrations on the sides of old buildings. They would have been hand-painted with oil-based house paints. Such signs were most commonly used in the decades before the Great Depression. When ownership changed, a new sign would be painted over the old one. This building was built in 1924 for use by the Hadley Furniture Co. Hadley Co. was a chain with 67+ stores, the Worcester store was the first one in New England. It remained in use until 1964, when bought by the David Burwick Furniture Company (which closed in 1995) Notice that the building is topped by a name panel that reads “Hadley” reflecting the building’s first owner. On the back of the building the ghost sign reads “David Burwick Fine Furniture”.