After fleeing Lexington and Concord on April 19, 1775, John Hancock came to this house to await the arrival of his document-filled trunk (left at the Buckman Tavern) and his compatriots before traveling to Philadelphia to attend the Second Continental Congress. This house originally stood on the road to Boston, just south of the Oaks (DAR). The next owner, Governor Levi Lincoln Sr. (1749-1820), served in President Thomas Jefferson’s cabinet and as attorney general of the United States. It was moved to Grove Street by a new owner in 1846. When it was torn down in 1910, the front door of this fine 1741 mansion was placed in the collection of the Smithsonian Institution.