In May 1775, Ethan Allen and Benedict Arnold captured the British outpost at Fort Ticonderoga, New York. Later that year George Washington sent Henry Knox to bring the nearly 60 cannons from the fort to Boston where they were deployed at Dorchester Heights. Their presence helped force the British to evacuate the city in March 1776. The Knox “train of artillery” passed through many Massachusetts towns, including Worcester. In 1927, a monument was placed at the corner of Highland and Main streets, in front of the former Worcester County Court House.